Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tim Brewster

So Tim Brewster is coming back to Memorial Stadium as the head coach of the Golden Gophers. Tim Brewster, one of the cornerstones, of the great 83 team, made no bones about his desire to be the head coach at his alma mater. I was a Brewster backer after RT was let go, but from the available field of candidates. I think Ron Guenther made the right call in Zook. Tim hadn't learned on someone elses dime so to speak, and I don't know if he could have survived a year like he did last year at Minnesota at Illinois. Also, I think you can get players into Minnesota that you cant at Illinois. So I think the deal probably worked pretty well for both parties based on the Gophers record this year.

That said, I really think Tim is positioned to do well in the Twin Cities. Even though he got off to a brutal start last year, if Brewster can get the Gophers to a bowl this year, he is on the right track and all will be forgotten. My guess is if Brewster can get the Gophers to a Capital One type bowl in the future. If he does that and beats one of the top teams in the conference, he will become a fairly hot coaching commodity for a bigger job. He is a guy that I feel can really sell a program. Tim will be smart enough to jump from Minnesota, if they stage a Rutgers type run. (I bet Schiano is kicking himself right now) I just don't see Tim at Minnesota for the long haul. My guess is 5-6 years get the program competitive, open the new stadium, get to a Jan 1. bowl and then move on to bigger job probably in the Big 12, a Texas A & M type job.


Minnesota Thoughts
  • I watched the IU -Minnesota game and was impressed with both Weber and Decker. Then I thought that in spite of all the yards those 2 put up, they only scored 1 TD. They put up 16 points many times with a short field. This, against Indiana, who is not exactly the second coming of the 85 Bears. I think Minnesota is one of those move it between the 20's teams that will bog down in the red zone against Big Ten competition. They scored 7 on OSU, before two late TD's in garbage time. I think if Illinois can get pressure on Weber, and hold Decker in check, Illinois can have some success on D against this offense.
  • Given the stable of backs that Minnesota had during the Mason years Barber III, Maroney etc., isn't it odd that Minnesota has no current running game to speak of?
  • Eric Decker is a great receiver, I like the way he finds an open spot in the zone and just sits down there. If there is an equivalent of the box and one zone d for football I would run it. Put Vontae as a spy on Decker jack him at the line and dog him all over the field. I think he is the only play maker on Minnesota who can beat the Illini. Weber will hopefully be neutralized by pressure and the porous Gopher line.
  • The Metrodome will gladly be retired after this season as the home of the Gophers. Is there a worse college football environment in America than the Metrodome? Their new stadium looks pretty sweet, kind of a throwback to their old one.
  • Did any team hold better and get away with it than the Gophers under Mason?
  • Minnesota should pass a law against all gold or all maroon uniforms. Those things are crimes against humanity. That said I would like the Illini to break out an orange top/ blue pants combo at some juncture. That's the only Illini uniform combo, I don't think I have ever seen.

No comments: